Calvert Street, between Fayette & Lexington Streets (Street View)
GPS: 39° 17′ 26.29″ N 76° 36′ 44.59″ W
Commemorates the Battle of North Point, a turning point in the War of 1812, and those who died during the month of September 1814. The monument is the first built in America specifically for the common soldier. Placed on the site of Baltimore’s original courthouse, the location was chosen to preserve the land from further urban development. On the base of the structure is two relief sculptures that depict the bombardment of Fort McHenry and the Battle of North Point. The names of the soldiers that died in the historic conflict are spelled out on bands that wrap the towering column. Lady Baltimore holds a victory wreath at the apex of the fifty-two foot memorial. Designed by architect Maximilian Godefroy and built from 1815-1825. Sculpture by Antonio Capellano.
Situated in an old and high-energy location downtown, the Battle Monument is famously depicted on the flag and seal of Baltimore City. The area has a great deal of foot traffic, with people pausing to sit, look and eat lunch in the pleasant median splitting motor traffic. The United States Court House and Post Office building stand on the east side of the monument, the Post Office serving as the second courthouse today. Many interesting historical plaques adorn the grounds of the monument, including one of the city’s Heritage Walk markers. The female figure atop the pedestal is Lady Baltimore, an embodiment of the spirit of the city.