Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Cecilius Calvert Statue at the Courthouse

without comments

E Lexington Street and Saint Paul Street (Street View)

GPS: 39° 17′ 26.83″ N 76° 36′ 49.87″ W

History

Depicts Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore (August 8, 1605 – November 30, 1675). The son of the 1st Lord Baltimore, George Calvert, Cecilius was granted the proprietorship of Maryland shortly after his father’s death in 1632. Due to political pressures he never visited his colony, sending his two younger brothers, Leonard and George, to rule the settlement. Dedicated on November 2, 1908, the statue stands outside the Clarence Mitchell Jr. Courthouse on St. Paul Street downtown. Artist: Albert Weinert.

Notes

The impressive statue stands against the arched entryways of the courthouse. The monument faces a fountain and courtyard across the street. Traffic from the north flows by this bustling location on down to the Inner Harbor.

Nearby

Links

Written by monumentcity

February 20th, 2009 at 8:57 am