Hopkins Place and West Pratt Street (Street View)
GPS: 39° 17′ 11.61″ N 76° 37′ 3.03″ W
Depicts Thurgood Marshall (1908-1993), the great-grandson of a slave and Baltimore native who rose to become the first African-American to serve on the Supreme Court. He was nominated in 1967 by President Lyndon Johnson. Stands outside the Garmatz Federal Courthouse, Pratt Street entrance. Artist: Reuben Kramer. Dedicated on May 16, 1980. BWI Airport was also dedicated to Marshall in October of 2005.
This monument is just off the path from the shops and bustle of the Inner Harbor proper. Across Pratt street is the Baltimore Convention Center and the old Bromo-Seltzer Tower stares down from above. Arrayed behind the monument are many concrete pyramids, presumably to prevent cars from driving up too close to the courthouse.