Sculptor Hans Schuler (1874-1951) was born in Alsace-Lorraine, Germany. He moved with his family to the United States as a child, settling in Baltimore, where he spent the rest of his life. Schuler studied at the Rinehart School of Sculpture at the Maryland Institute College Art, and eventually traveled to France to further his education with Raoul Verlet. In 1901, he won the Salon Gold Medal in Paris, making him the first American sculptor to receive the prestigious award. Along with his numerous outdoor public monuments in Baltimore, his work can also be found in important art galleries such as the Walters Art Museum and the Fogg Art Museum. He also created a multitude of cemetery pieces, most of which are located in Green Mount, Loudon Park and Druid Ridge Cemeteries. Hans Schuler was director of MICA from 1925 until the year of his death.
In 1906, Schuler moved into his studio and residence at 5 E. Lafayette Street, now the Schuler School of Fine Arts and Gallery. Established by his children, the small school offers a curriculum organized around realist art and a study of the Old Masters. Most of Schuler’s work was created in the 2-story, Howard Sill designed building.