Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Sealed Glass Bottle in Washington Monument

with 2 comments

[Source]

The corner-stone of the monument was laid on the 4th of July, 1815, with great ceremony. In the stone a copper plate was deposited, on one side of which was engraved,—

“On the 4th of July, A.d. 1815, was laid this Foundation Stone Of a monument to be erected to the memory of George Washington.”

“A sealed glass bottle was also deposited, containing a likeness of Washington, his valedictory address, the several newspapers printed in the city, and the different coins of the United States.

Written by monumentcity

March 5th, 2009 at 4:15 am

Posted in All Posts,Reference