Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Maryland Line Monument at Mount Royal Station

without comments

Cathedral Street & W Mount Royal Avenue (Street View)

GPS: 39° 18′ 20.35″ N 76° 37′ 7.58″ W

History

Sculpted by Albert L Van den Berghen (variously attributed as Vander Bergen), this monument was dedicated on Peggy Stewart Day, October 19, 1901, to the “Bayonets of the Continental Army.” The name of this memorial references the state’s nickname of “The Old Line State.” The 60 foot tall columnar monument was sponsored by the Maryland chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution and the figure depicted high atop the column is the Goddess of Liberty, who holds unfurled the Declaration of Independence in one hand and a laurel wreath in the other. The state motto of Maryland, actually an Italian phrase and not Latin, adorns one of the four decorative plaques at the base of this monument, Fatti maschii, parole femine, the official state-sanctioned translation of which is “Strong Deeds, Gentle Words.”

Notes

Located across the street from the Lyric Opera House, home of the now-defunct Baltimore Opera Company, the Maryland Line Monument is centrally located during the city’s annual Artscape festival. Across the street is the Maryland Institute College of Art’s “Station Building,” or Mount Royal Station, a former B&O passenger train station erected in 1896 and renovated for academic use in 1966.

Nearby

Links

Written by monumentcity

April 1st, 2009 at 3:46 pm