E Pratt Street & S Patterson Park Avenue, next to the Pagoda
GPS: 39° 17′ 23.45″ N 76° 35′ 1.62″ W
In 1814, after the sacking of Washington, British troops marched on Baltimore, attacking by sea and by land. Britain wished to put an end to American privateering, and considered Baltimore’s port to be a haven for pirates. They attempted to sail past Fort McHenry while sending ground troops through what was then known as North Point. The two-pronged attack was doomed to fail. Commodore John Rodgers, a famous Navy General, was in command of ground troops stationed on Hampstead Hill in Patterson Park. He had over 12,000 volunteers and 100 cannons, strategically placed, ready to defend Charm City. On the way into Baltimore, British General Robert Ross, who helped defeat Napoleon, was shot and killed. The loss of field leadership coupled with bad weather and little support from their flotilla forced the British into an early retreat. The flag still hung at Fort McHenry the next day, and the Star-Spangled Banner was written. America was safe, and the defense of Baltimore had been successful. The cannon monument was dedicated in 1914 during the centennial celebration of the War of 1812 and the Battle of Baltimore.
Just off the northwest entrance to Patterson Park, the monument stands below the pagoda. The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Memorial rests a few paces northeast and several more cannons flank the area. The location provides an impressive view of the park and city beyond.
- The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Memorial
- Conradin Kreutzer Memorial Bust
- General Casimir Pulaski Monument