Mount Royal Terrace & Lennox Street (Street View)
GPS: 39° 18′ 42.64″ N 76° 37′ 34.53″ W
In celebration of the 150th anniversary of Baltimore’s 1729 town charter, the citizens and government threw an elaborate party and parade. To commemorate the event, the artist Herman Henning was commissioned to create four Lady Baltimore statues to be placed at each corner of the ornate old Saint Paul Street bridge. For close to 80 years the monuments greeted locals as they crossed over the Jones Falls and railroad tracks, leaving or entering downtown. In 1960, the bridge was renovated as part of the Jones Falls Expressway project. The span was overhauled and the ladies were moved to new locations. Three were placed at Cylburn Arboretum in northern Baltimore, while a fourth was given to Ireland by Baltimore’s Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick Society.
At some point, members of the Bolton Hill neighborhood lobbied city government to have one of Cylburn’s three Lady Baltimore statues placed in Mount Royal Terrace Park. The city agreed and community members (some of which are retired Baltimore park system workers) began preparing the landscape for the monument. They had a sloping dirt mound built on the east side of the park and two urns were placed at the foot of the bank. For the statue’s foundation the neighborhood used a combination old cobblestones removed from city streets and recycled marble from razed homes. The Lady Baltimore occupies the former location of Hans Schuler’s Martin Luther Monument (now at Lake Montebello).
The Lady Baltimore loosely holds a sledgehammer in her right hand, while a shield, with the Battle Monument on it’s front, rests to her left. An anchor, gear, anvil and steam engine are represented around the base of the sculpture. Situated in a small park at the foot of Druid Hill, the statue sits inside the well-maintained Mount Royal Terrace Park. A plaque adorns the front of the structure, listing the Commissioner and Engineer of the Saint Paul Street bridge.