Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Richard Wagner Bust in Druid Hill Park

with one comment

Just off Lake Drive, on the Mansion House lawn, in Druid Hill Park

GPS: 39° 19′ 16.82″ N 76° 38′ 44.51″ W

History

First Prize for winning the 19th Triennial National Saengerfest, a German cultural festival focused on choral performances, in 1900, was a bronze bust of composer Richard Wagner. The United Singers of Baltimore took the title and the trophy at the contest, which was held in Brooklyn, New York, with the song Sheiden (Parting) by D. Melamet. The singers gifted the statue to the city thereafter and in 1901 it was placed on the lawn of Druid Hill Park’s Mansion House where it remains to this day. The house now serves as the main administrative building for the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. R. P. Golde created the memorial.

Notes

Captain Kidd, the famed Scottish Privateer and Pirate is rumored to have buried a sizable treasure of gold and jewelery near the Mansion House grounds. At one point, so much digging went on that the house’s foundation was in danger and the fortune seekers had to be removed. No treasure was ever located. The Wagner Bust sits on the edge of the road next to what remains of the Boat Lake. The surrounding park is vast and open, making this one of the more tranquil spots within city limits.

Nearby

Links

Written by monumentcity

May 11th, 2009 at 1:47 pm