|On The Trail Statue||Col. Watson Monument||Chapin Harris Bust||Sea Urchin – JHU|
|Ferdinand Latrobe||Armistead – Fort McHenry||Belair WWI Memorial||Wildflower|
Edward Henry Berge was born in Baltimore in 1876. The son of 1st generation German immigrants, Edward’s father Henry was a trained stonecutter and an architect. Old Town’s B’nai Israel Synagogue is a lasting example of the senior Berge’s work. Raised in a modest house (also built by his father) near the Baltimore Cemetery gatehouse, Edward grew up in a rural environment driving horses and carving stones.
In 1899 he enrolled as one of seven initial students at the Rinehart School of Sculpture. His colleagues J. Maxwell Miller and Hans Schuler attended the Baltimore institution along with him. Following graduation Edward traveled to France where he studied under Auguste Rodin.
He sculpted his On The Trail statue during this time period. The fine example of early 20th Century realist sculpture stands in Clifton Park. Upon completing his apprenticeship Edward Berge moved back to Baltimore and began sculpting professionally.
The artist received a healthy amount of commissions during his career, always providing a decent living for his family. Known for his studies of children, Edward’s work can be found in gardens across the globe. Wildflower represents his preeminent work. Created in 1909, in 1916 it was chosen most loved piece at San Francisco’s Panama Pacific exhibition. One of three originals stands just off Springlake Way in the north Baltimore community of Homeland.
The photographs above represent a large portion of Edward Berge’s existing work in Charm City. He died of a heart attack in 1924 and is buried in Lorraine Park Cemetery. His sons Henry and Stephens were also professional artists.