|Star-Spangled Banner||Confederate Women||Ferdinand Latrobe||Tucker Memorial|
J. Maxwell Miller (1877-1933) studied sculpture at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, and between 1900 and 1905, traveled to France to learn further from Raoul Verlet at the Julian Academy in Paris. His creations were well received in Europe, and when he returned to Baltimore he began his private practice preparing fine art for commission. Miller’s detailed work is best exemplified in the Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument in Patterson Park. Dedicated in 1914, during the city’s centennial celebration of defensive victory in the War of 1812, the monument was placed directly in front of the park’s observatory. The accessible location allows a close inspection of Miller’s craft.