Hanlon Drive & Mansion House Drive (Street View)
GPS: 39° 19′ 3.00″ N 76° 38′ 33.60″ W
This statue was constructed in 1857 in Rome by the American artist Edward Sheffield Bartholomew at the behest of Noah Walker, a Baltimore businessman. Walker had the statue installed in a niche within the facade of his West Baltimore Street clothing business, at what came to be known as the Washington Building. The statue was originally installed on the second floor and was lit at night by a circle of gaslights. An 1871 sketch of its original appearance can be found here. When Walker died the statue was donated by his family to the city and was moved to Druid Hill Park. Initially the statue was placed on a small pedestal that has since been upgraded. Enoch Pratt, the philanthropist after whom Baltimore’s library system is named, donated the structure in which it now rests. The monument is next to the old Promenade entrance.
Bartholomew’s Washington statue is one of many monuments dedicated to America’s first president. Aside from the Washington Monument in Mount Vernon, there is also a Washington Bicentennial marker near the Basilica. And compatriots of Washington’s like Lafayette and Pulaski are also memorialized in Baltimore City.
- Repeal Statue
- Eli Siegel Stone
- William Wallace Statue
- Christopher Columbus (Druid Hill)
- John Cook Garden & Sundial
- Richard Wagner Bust