Cathedral Street & W Mount Vernon Place (Street View)
GPS: 39° 17′ 50.82″ N 76° 37′ 1.01″ W
A replica of Paul Dubois’ Military Courage statue stands at the west end of Mount Vernon Place, facing Cathedral Street. A gift of William Walters, the famous Baltimore art collector, the cast was installed at the historic park in 1885. Strongly influenced by the Italian Renaissance, Dubois modeled Military Courage after Michaelangelo’s statue at the tomb of Lorenzo de’ Medici in Florence. Three other statues were sculpted along with Courage, entitled Faith, Meditation and Charity, the set serving as pillars for the tomb of General Jucault de Lamoricière in Nantes Cathedral, France.
Looking south from the statue you’ll find the Garrett House, the former residence of Robert Garrett II, once a prominent President of the B & O Railroad. The forty room mansion spans multiple row-houses and is the work of acclaimed architect Stanford White. Contracted by Garrett and his wife, in 1884, to remodel and combine the homes the couple had recently purchased, White spent the next nine years creating the lavish residence. Since 1961, the Engineer’s Society of Baltimore has owned and maintained the property.
- Barye Lion
- Washington Monument
- Marquis de Lafayette
- Sea Urchin in Mount Vernon
- George Peabody
- Severn Teackle Wallis
- John Eager Howard
- Roger B. Taney