The commission for the Battle Monument was won by French architect Maximilian Godefroy in 1815, one year after the Battle of Baltimore. Godefroy hired Italian artist Antonio Capellano to complete the statue and relief work he incorporated into his design. While waiting for Godefroy during the monument’s conception, Capellano was hired by Robert Cary Long, Sr. to create facade reliefs for the third Old St. Paul’s Church. The building burned down in 1854, but the sculptures were spared and installed in Richard Upjohn’s building that stands today. Capellano and Godefroy also worked together on the First Unitarian Church (just north of the Basilica, approaching the Washington Monument) for which the Italian sculptor created the Angel of Truth in 1818. The sculpture was reconstructed by local artist Henry Berge (son of Edward Berge) in 1960.