Location: N Charles Street & W Mulberry Street
Erected in 1932, the bicentennial plaque is part of the Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route, a series of markers that follow the trail of Revolutionary War generals George Washington and Count Rochambeau. The 600 mile plot spans nine different states and contains numerous monuments. The goal of the project is to educate Americans about the impact of the French army, and other allies, during our war of independence. Situated in what was once known as “Howard’s Woods,” the former estate of John Eager Howard, the memorial is within the property of the Basilica of the Assumption, America’s first cathedral. The elm tree referred to on the monument is no longer standing.