Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Baltimore’s Parkway Theatre

without comments

The Parkway Theatre was built in 1915 at what was then the northern edge of Baltimore City. The 1000 seat auditorium has seen various phases through the years, but has mainly been used as a cinema house. The building shut its doors in 1998, unable to deal with North Avenue’s decline. However, there is a potential plan in place (or two) to revitalize the structure along with other buildings in the North Avenue vicinity. The Center Theater, located across North Avenue, has been purchased by Jubilee Baltimore, Inc. and is being turned into a creative arts community center.

[Source]

“Designed by Oliver B. Wright, The Parkway Theatre was patterned in the Louis XIV style after the West End Theatre near Leicester Square in London and envisioned as a Vaudeville performance house with about 1100 seats. It was acquired and remodeled in 1926 by the Loews organization and later, in 1952, acquired and closed by the Morris Mechanic organization. It reopened in 1956 as the Five West Art Theatre and remained under that operation until the mid-1970s, when it again closed.”

Written by monumentcity

October 12th, 2009 at 3:54 pm