Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

H. S. Rippel Spring in Wyman Park

without comments

The H. S. Rippel Spring is located just east of the corner of Tudor Arms Avenue and Craycombe Avenue along the Stony Run in Wyman Park. Though dried up today and covered with graffiti, the fountainhead is still in decent condition. The structure was given to Druid Hill Park in 1895 by businessman H. S. Rippel and was later moved to its current location in the 1930s.

[Source]

The name of the spring derives from a prominent local builder who donated the fountainstone for the original spring, and whose name is engraved in this stone. The spring enjoyed healthy popularity among some North Baltimore residents during the 30’s and 40’s, often being bottled by local boys who delivered it to nearby residents.

Written by monumentcity

December 8th, 2009 at 2:47 pm