|Seventh Baptist Church||Seventh Baptist Church||Eutaw Place Baptist Church||University Baptist Church|
Started in 1845, the Seventh Baptist congregation once met in a meeting house on Calvert Street in Downtown. Richard Fuller, a man known for his controversial 1840s stance on slavery in the scriptures, was once head of the group. The organization changed locations and affiliations several times, and in 1897 the North Avenue district was chosen for the church’s expansion. The Seventh Baptist Church building is located at 1916 Saint Paul Street. The Seventh Metro Church, a reformation of the Seventh Baptist congregation, uses the structure today.
The Eutaw Place Baptist Church was established in 1867 to handle the surplus of Seventh Baptist Church members. The building was designed by Thomas Walter in the Gothic Revival style. Walter, the fourth architect of the U. S. Capitol building, offered his services for free. The Bolton Hill property was donated by Hiram Woods. The historic building is now occupied by the City Temple of Baltimore (Baptist).
Charles Village’s University Baptist Church sits near the top of Clover Hill on the Homewood campus of Johns Hopkins University. Founded in 1917 by forty members of the Eutaw Place Church, University Baptist was established for Johns Hopkins and the surrounding community. The building was conceived by John Russell Pope, architect of the Jefferson Memorial and the Baltimore Museum of Art.