Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

The Good Roads Movement

without comments

In the late 1800s Baltimoreans were riding bikes much like the ones ridden today. The N. T. Slee Bike Shop sold Rambler models to the multitude of cyclists that patrolled the city network on two wheels. The growing park system was a favorite place to ride, its trails endlessly winding through acres of undeveloped land. The city’s cobblestone streets were a different story.

The League of American Wheelmen was formed in 1880 when cycling clubs and bike manufacturers from across the country met in Newport, Rhode Island. Twelve years later they began publishing Good Roads magazine, one the earliest periodicals dedicated to all things cycling. The group’s main objective was to secure safe and decent road conditions for America’s bicycle enthusiasts. The League was a powerful political force, its Good Roads Movement successful and important long before cars were popularized.

Written by monumentcity

January 16th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Posted in All Posts,Bicycle