Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Archive for the ‘Cemetery’ Category

The Grave of Johnny Eck

without comments

Baltimore’s Green Mount Cemetery is the final resting place of sideshow performer Johnny Eck. Section R, grave 19 contains the remains of Johnny and his fraternal twin brother Robert. The Ecks (or Eckhardts) were born in East Baltimore in the same house they eventually died in. Traveling often, the brothers always returned to their family home, maintaining the quaint rowhouse even as the neighborhood around it slowly declined. The house was purchased by an Eck enthusiast and is being converted to a museum.

Johnny was a true American icon, born with nothing below his torso, he transformed his inadequacy into a prosperous business. He walked tightropes, performed magic, created models, acted in movies and drove his own modified car. Johnny Eck died in 1991, followed four years later by his brother and lifelong companion, Robert. This modest monument marks their permanent address.

Written by monumentcity

March 29th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

The Grave of John Wilkes Booth

with 2 comments

John Wilkes Booth was born in Harford County, MD and made his stage debut at Baltimore’s Charles Street Theatre. The Booth family gravesite is located in Baltimore’s Green Mount Cemetery where John Wilkes rests under an unmarked stone. Small and unassuming, the marker sits at the corner of the family plot, dwarfed by the memorial obelisk at it’s center.

Buried here in February of 1869, four years after his death, John’s body went through a series of circumstances before ending up in Green Mount. Originally inhumed at the Old Penitentiary on the Washington Arsenal grounds, the body was placed in an Army blanket and lowered into a hole that was subsequently covered with a stone slab. Two years later it was exhumed and placed in a wooden box in a locked storeroom at the prison. The government was finally persuaded to release the remains to the Booth family in 1869 where it was viewed in Washington and then Baltimore, before finally being placed in Dogwood Plot #9.

Written by monumentcity

December 18th, 2009 at 11:58 am

Map of Green Mount Cemetery

with 2 comments

This map can be obtained at the main entrance to Green Mount Cemetery. The diagram is numbered showing locations of numerous interesting graves and a list is provided with 78 corresponding names.

Written by monumentcity

December 7th, 2009 at 11:39 am

Fell Family Cemetery

without comments

The Fell Family Cemetery is found in Fells Point on the slight Shakespeare Street. Set between two narrow rowhouses, the memorial honors the founder of Fells Point, William Fell and his family. In 1730, impressed by the port’s proximity to lush forests, Fell settled the waterfront property. By the 1760’s William’s son Edward began plotting roads and selling lots as the area’s ship-building industry flourished. The growing business district incorporated with Jones Town and Baltimore Town in 1797, creating Baltimore City.

The sarcophagus marks where four members of the Fell family, (brothers William and Edward and their two sons) are buried. The graveyard is a frequent stop for local ghost tours as a well-dressed apparition is said to haunt the unique Fells Point location. Once known as Bond Cemetery, the historic landmark is now referred to as the Fell Family Cemetery.

Written by monumentcity

November 7th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Edgar Allan Poe Grave Monument

without comments

The Edgar Allan Poe grave monument is located at West Fayette Street & North Greene Street at Westminster Burying Ground. Designed by Baltimore architect George A. Frederick and executed by Hugh Sisson, the memorial was commissioned in 1874, 25 years after the author’s death. Poe was originally buried (with no headstone) in the back of the graveyard with his grandfather, grandmother and older brother. In 1875, after an upswell of community support for the writer, Poe’s body was moved to its current location with a monument unveiling ceremony attended by relatives, fans and the poet Walt Whitman. Eventually Virginia and Maria Clemm Poe were interred along with him. In 1913 a second headstone was placed in the Poe family lot marking the spot of Edgar Allan’s initial entombment.

Written by monumentcity

May 18th, 2009 at 4:22 pm