Monument City Blog

Branches of Baltimore History

Archive for the ‘Reference’ Category

Sealed Glass Bottle in Washington Monument

with 2 comments

[Source]

The corner-stone of the monument was laid on the 4th of July, 1815, with great ceremony. In the stone a copper plate was deposited, on one side of which was engraved,—

“On the 4th of July, A.d. 1815, was laid this Foundation Stone Of a monument to be erected to the memory of George Washington.”

“A sealed glass bottle was also deposited, containing a likeness of Washington, his valedictory address, the several newspapers printed in the city, and the different coins of the United States.

Written by monumentcity

March 5th, 2009 at 4:15 am

Posted in All Posts,Reference

Baltimore’s Lady Baltimore Statues

with 4 comments

While listening to the BMA monument tour, I discovered that it is none other than Lady Baltimore whose statue sits atop the Battle Monument downtown. That is, she is meant to be an allegorical representation of the city itself. Also did a little sleuthing around the subject and it turns out that there used to be four Lady Baltimore adorning the St. Paul Street bridge over the Jones Falls/expressway. In 1960, the ladies were removed and languished in storage for 16 years. Two of the ladies have found new homes in Cylburn Arboretum. A third sits in a park where Lennox Street meets Mt. Royal Terrace. Interestingly, the last one was sent to Ireland by the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Society, a fraternal organization in Baltimore City.

Written by monumentcity

February 22nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm

What Martial Law Looks Like: Baltimore’s 1968 Riots

with one comment

Shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr (who oddly enough lacks a monument here in town), rioting broke out on the streets of Baltimore City. A Baltimore City police history page has more details:

When rioting did break out on Saturday, April 6, the Governor of Maryland, Spiro T. Agnew, called out thousands of National Guard troops and 500 Maryland State Police to quell the disturbance. When it was determined that the state forces could not control the riot, Agnew requested Federal troops from President Lyndon B. Johnson.

By Sunday evening, 5000 paratroopers, combat engineers, and artillerymen from the XVIII Airborne Corps in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, specially trained in riot control tactics, including sniper school, were on the streets of Baltimore with fixed bayonets, and equipped with chemical (CS) disperser backpacks. Two days later, they were joined by a Light Infantry Brigade from Fort Benning, Georgia. With all the police and troops on the streets, things began to calm down. The FBI reported that H. Rap Brown was in Baltimore driving a Ford Mustang with Broward County, Florida tags, and was assembling large groups of angry protesters and agitating them to escalate the rioting. In several instances, these disturbances were rapidly quelled through the skillful use of bayonets and chemical dispersers by the XVIII Airborne units. That unit did not fire a single round of ammunition and arrested more than 3,000 detainees, who were identified, tagged with bracelets, and delivered in cattle trucks to the Baltimore police precincts.

Written by monumentcity

February 21st, 2009 at 1:50 am

Posted in All Posts,Reference