Archive for the ‘Reservoir Hill’ Category
Location: W North Avenue & W Mount Royal Avenue
These Egyptian styled gateway pillars stand at the original Mount Royal entrance to Druid Hill Park. The monuments were re-erected in 1988 by then Mayor Kurt Schmoke, along with the help of community members. George Aloysius Frederick, architect of Baltimore’s City Hall, designed the Nova Scotia freestone structures. The Colonel William Watson Monument towers nearby.
Mount Royal Terrace & Lennox Street (Street View)
GPS: 39° 18′ 42.64″ N 76° 37′ 34.53″ W
In celebration of the 150th anniversary of Baltimore’s 1729 town charter, the citizens and government threw an elaborate party and parade. To commemorate the event, the artist Herman Henning was commissioned to create four Lady Baltimore statues to be placed at each corner of the ornate old Saint Paul Street bridge. For close to 80 years the monuments greeted locals as they crossed over the Jones Falls and railroad tracks, leaving or entering downtown. In 1960, the bridge was renovated as part of the Jones Falls Expressway project. The span was overhauled and the ladies were moved to new locations. Three were placed at Cylburn Arboretum in northern Baltimore, while a fourth was given to Ireland by Baltimore’s Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick Society.
At some point, members of the Bolton Hill neighborhood lobbied city government to have one of Cylburn’s three Lady Baltimore statues placed in Mount Royal Terrace Park. The city agreed and community members (some of which are retired Baltimore park system workers) began preparing the landscape for the monument. They had a sloping dirt mound built on the east side of the park and two urns were placed at the foot of the bank. For the statue’s foundation the neighborhood used a combination old cobblestones removed from city streets and recycled marble from razed homes. The Lady Baltimore occupies the former location of Hans Schuler’s Martin Luther Monument (now at Lake Montebello).
The Lady Baltimore loosely holds a sledgehammer in her right hand, while a shield, with the Battle Monument on it’s front, rests to her left. An anchor, gear, anvil and steam engine are represented around the base of the sculpture. Situated in a small park at the foot of Druid Hill, the statue sits inside the well-maintained Mount Royal Terrace Park. A plaque adorns the front of the structure, listing the Commissioner and Engineer of the Saint Paul Street bridge.
W North Avenue & W Mount Royal Avenue (Street View)
GPS: 39° 18′ 39.60″ N 76° 37′ 31.80″ W
Col. William Watson (1808-1846) commanded the Battalion of Baltimore and District of Columbia Volunteers during the Mexican-American War. He was killed at the storming of Monterrey on September 22, 1846. The bronze and granite monument to Watson was installed in 1903 by the Maryland Association of Veterans of the Mexican War and was created by Maryland’s own Edward Berge. Watson is mentioned in the fourth verse of the state song “Maryland, My Maryland.”
Originally placed at W Mount Royal Avenue and Lanvale Street, in front of the Maryland Institute College of Art, the memorial was moved to its current location in 1930. The statue stands atop a tall pedestal and is surrounded by two cannon and four shot piles. Holding a sword in is right hand and a monocular in his left, the Colonel faces east down North Avenue, steadily surveying the Monumental City.
- Mount Royal Entrance to Druid Hill Park
- Lady Baltimore Statue
- Spirit of the Confederacy
- Maryland Line Monument